Monument record GSE 061 - Pakefield Cliffs, Gisleham, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5361 8822 (111m by 317m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CORTON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||GISLEHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Internationally important Lower Palaeolithic Cromer Forest-bed deposits of Cromerian (pre Anglian glaciation) date (circa 500,000 - 700,000 BP) including finds of fresh in situ flints exposed on foreshore and along base of cliff. Deposits extend north of Lowestoft to Corton (at least) and extending south towards Kessingland. Brief details in (S1-7).
2000: First in-situ flake found by member of Quaternary Research Association in 2000 (S2).
2002: Further flints from site reported to John Wymer by Paul Durbidge in November 2002, leading to excavation (S5)(S2).
2005: Area of excavation/s mapped on HER map by Paul Durbidge, December 2005, Further details outstanding.
Scientific dating report on British Aggregates by English Heritage (S6).
- <S1> SSF59531 Bibliographic reference: Parfitt S & Ashton N. 2003. Pre-Glacial Archaeology of Norfolk & Suffolk Coasts, draft ms.
- <S2> SSF50185 Article in serial: Parfitt S et al,. 2006. Pakefield - a weekend to remember'. Parfitt S et al, 'Pakefield - a weekend to remember', Jan-Feb 2006, 19-27.
- <S3> SSF59532 News Paper: Nuttall D & Robinson C. 2005. This was Suffolk 700,000 years ago.
- <S4> SSF50187 Article in serial: The Times (newspaper). Henderson M, 'Lowestoft Man rewrites history', Dec 15, 2005.
- <S4> SSF59533 News Paper: Henderson M. 2005. Lowestoft Man rewrites history.
- <S5> SSF59530 Personal Correspondence: Wymer J,. 2002. Wymer J, to Wade K, 21 November 2002. Wymer J, to Wade K, 21 November 2002.
- <S6> SSF54691 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 2008. British Aggregates Scientific Dating Report, no. 6-2008. English Heritage, British Aggregates Scientific Dating Report, no. 6-2008.
- <S7> SSF59529 Article in serial: Parfitt, S. A, Snelling, A. J, Evans, A. A, Jacobi, R. M.. 2008. FURTHER DISCOVERIES OF LOWER PALAEOLITHIC FURTHER DISCOVERIES OF LOWER PALAEOLITHIC STONE TOOLS IN THE CROMER FOREST-BED FORMATION AT PAKEFIELD-KESSINGLAND. PSIA 41, 2008, 489-495.
- <S8> SSF56339 Bibliographic reference: Pettitt, P.B. & White, M.J.. 2012. The British Palaeolithic: Human Societies at the Edge of the Pleistocene World.
- <S9> SSF59534 Web Page: AHOB. Ahob Website, (Pakefield Entry).
- <S10> SSF59535 Article in serial: Parfitt, S.A et al. 2005. The earliest record of human activity in northern Europe.
- FSF30185: CORE (MIS19 to MIS17 - 788000 BC? to 674000 BC?)
- FSF30186: ANIMAL REMAINS (MIS19 to MIS13 - 788000 BC? to 476000 BC?)
- FSF50429: FLAKE (MIS19 to MIS17 - 788000 BC? to 674000 BC?)
- FSF50430: RETOUCHED FLAKE (MIS19 to MIS17 - 788000 BC? to 674000 BC?)
- FSF50431: MICRODEBITAGE (MIS19 to MIS17 - 788000 BC? to 674000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Pakefield Cliffs, Gisleham, (Ref: (AHOB)) (ESF18759)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2020 12:33PM