SWD 051 - Southwold
|SHER Number:||SWD 051|
|Type of Record:||Monument|
|Grid Reference:||TM 5077 7614|
|Parish:||SOUTHWOLD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Please read the Suffolk Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Indicative area of Medieval town of Southwold
- TOWN (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- MARKET (13th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1222 AD to 1900 AD)
Designated Status: none recorded
Medieval town of Southwold, defined from historic maps and locations of listed buildings.
1222, grant of market to the Abbot of St Edmunds.
1226/27, grant of market and fair to be held on the eve and day of St Philip and St Jacob (30th April).
1490, permission granted to hold a second fair.
Fairs held: Trinity Fair (three days following Trinity Sunday), St Bartholomews Fair (held in front of the church on Bartholomews Green on the 24th August).
1504 charter given for 2 weekly markets and 2 annual fairs (S1,S2).
After Southwold map 1588 (S3).
After 17th century map of Southwold (S4).
After Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S5).
2015: Area to the south of the town extended following a geophysical survey that identified possible medieval structures and roadways on Gun Hill (S6).
Sources and Further Reading
|[S1]||SSF50087 - Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Medieval and Later Markets', 76-7. |
|[S2]||SSF50019 - Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. |
|[S3]||SSF50513 - Map: Becker J. Southwold 1588. |
|[S4]||SSF50514 - Map: Wakes, R.. 1839. Southwold and its Vacinity. Southwold in the 16th century. |
|[S5]||SSF50156 - Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783. |
|[S6]||SSF57332 - Unpublished document: Bescoby, D.. 2015. Gun Hill and Silkman's Hill, Southwold: A Geophysical Investigation. |
Associated Finds: None recorded
|Date Last Edited:||Nov 17 2016 10:21AM|