Cropmark of Stoke church Ring-ditch excavation at Great Cornard Worked flint Bronze Age burial at Eriswell Framlingham castle from the air Pottery vessels in situ at Leiston Flint tool from Southery Ring-ditch excavation at Great Cornard Cropmarks in Stoke-by-Nayland

SUE 177 - Battle of Newmouth 1011 or 1012 AD; The Crouch

SHER Number:SUE 177
Name:Battle of Newmouth 1011 or 1012 AD; The Crouch
Type of Record:Monument
Grid Reference:TM 39 49

Please read the Suffolk Historic Environment Record caveat document.


Possible site of Battle of Newmouth between the Danes, led by Olaf Haraldsson, and the English, in 1011 or 1012 AD, near contemporary major anchorage/harbour. Formerly recorded as SUE MISC

Monument Types

  • HARBOUR (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD (at some time))
  • BATTLEFIELD (IPS: Early Medieval - 1011 AD to 1012 AD)

Designated Status: none recorded


The battle is recorded in the "Saga of Olaf the Holy", written c. 1225 by Icelandic historian, Snorri Sturluson (R1). In turn, Snorri's source is the Old Norse poem, "Viking Verses" or "Vikingarvisur" by Sigvatr Thoroarson (R2). The battle is not mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
Site of battle claimed to be at 'The Crouch' near significant navel anchorage. Elizabethan map showing location of The Crouch reproduced in (S1) - could be Sudbourne, Butley or Gedgrave parish.

Formerly recorded as SUE MISC

Sources and Further Reading

[R1]SSF10836 - Bibliographic reference: Snorri Sturluson. The Saga of Olaf the Holy.
[S1]SSF53828 - Bibliographic reference: Orford & District Local History Bulletin. Issue 14, Spring 2010, pages 1-6. Article by Dr. Sam Newton.
[R2]SSF53829 - Bibliographic reference: Sigvatr Thoroarson or "Sigvatr the Skald". "Vikingarvisur" or "Viking Verses". The Battle of Newmouth is the ninth battle referred to in the sequence..

Associated Finds: None recorded

Date Last Edited:Apr 10 2019 4:05PM
Suffolk County Council logo WWII Heritage logo Interreg IV logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2014 - 2019 Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service