Cropmark of Stoke church Ring-ditch excavation at Great Cornard Worked flint Bronze Age burial at Eriswell Framlingham castle from the air Pottery vessels in situ at Leiston Flint tool from Southery Ring-ditch excavation at Great Cornard Cropmarks in Stoke-by-Nayland

CUL 003 - Hill of Health Round Barrow

SHER Number:CUL 003
Name:Hill of Health Round Barrow
Type of Record:Monument
Grid Reference:TL 8364 7131

Please read the Suffolk Historic Environment Record caveat document.


Scheduled Monument - Hill of Health Round Barrow, circa 22m in diameter.

Monument Types

Designated Status



Hill of Health - Round Barrow.
1937: Very large bowl barrow crowned with pines. About 8 feet high, perhaps 40 paces across. Two large (? sarsens) on S side of mound. A small mound a few paces to SE, perhaps a small bowl barrow (R1).
1962: A bowl barrow lying upon a slight southerly slope in the garden of a private house, measuring 30m N-S by 26m E-W. With maximum height of 4m. No visible ditch. The mound has been dug into on the S side. It has pine trees growing upon it and is generally in good condition (R2).
1976: Circa 22m diameter, 3.48m high. Lies in the garden of a private house. +/- flat-topped. Under grass with 5 pine trees and some bushes, especially on the N side (S3).
1981: Barrow in very good condition, grass covered with several large pine trees. Monument is now in garden of modern bungalow, and some shrub planting and flower bed construction has taken place, but this seems to be of a shallow nature (S1).
'Potsherd in Ipswich Museum, R R Clarke', but there is no record of this in Museum records and possibly refers to tumulus at Dixon's Covert, where BA sherd was found - CUL 004 (S2).
Excavated by father of present Earl Cadogan, who was about 5 at the time, circa 75 years ago (circa 1913) - apparently the late Earl was a keen archaeologist and it is believed he had the barrow excavated by a team - there were no finds (S4).
Note: OS 1st ed map shows mound on W, not E, side of road. 1882 1st ed & 1905 2nd ed, 6 inches to 1 mile, maps show it in its present position. Incorrectly plotted on OS 1st ed map? or moved by Barrow digger (probably a Cadogan) post 1836 & pre 1882.
1991: Classic lump, conical arm, big at apex, neat grassed surface (S5). Trees on mound circa 200 years old. Soil from mound, exposed by rabbit activity, made up of rounded chalk fragments circa 1.5ins diameter. Chalk would appear to be imported as not found near surface in close vicinity to barrow (unless very deep ring ditch surrounding barrow?)(S6).
November 1998: Scheduled area revised - see (S1).
Condition, shape and location adjoining line of Roman road suggest possibly Roman.

Sources and Further Reading

[R1]SSF12270 - (No record type): NWHCM, photograph.
[M1]SSF50035 - Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map.
[S1]SSF5224 - Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
[M2]SSF41592 - (No record type): SAM file:.
[R2]SSF50032 - Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SW5.
[S2]SSF50035 - Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 41, OS note.
[S3]SSF19372 - (No record type): SAU, Martin E A, Barrow survey archive, 1976.
[M3]SSF41593 - (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
[R3]SSF54455 - Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 626.
[S4]SSF3005 - (No record type): Cadogan Earl, per Green Mrs J, May 1989.
[S5]SSF21761 - (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards), survey, table of results, 1991.
[S6]SSF3163 - (No record type): Castle Mrs E, November 1993.

Associated Finds: None recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 2 2019 4:50PM
Suffolk County Council logo WWII Heritage logo Interreg IV logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2014 - 2020 Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service