Monument record SWD 051 - Southwold
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5077 7614 (525m by 794m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTHWOLD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Medieval town of Southwold, defined from historic maps and locations of listed buildings.
1222, grant of market to the Abbot of St Edmunds.
1226/27, grant of market and fair to be held on the eve and day of St Philip and St Jacob (30th April).
1490, permission granted to hold a second fair.
Fairs held: Trinity Fair (three days following Trinity Sunday), St Bartholomews Fair (held in front of the church on Bartholomews Green on the 24th August).
1504 charter given for 2 weekly markets and 2 annual fairs (S1,S2).
After Southwold map 1588 (S3).
After 17th century map of Southwold (S4).
After Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S5).
2015: Area to the south of the town extended following a geophysical survey that identified possible medieval structures and roadways on Gun Hill (S6).
- <S1> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Medieval and Later Markets', 76-7.
- <S2> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.
- <S3> SSF50513 Map: Becker J. Southwold 1588.
- <S4> SSF50514 Map: Wakes, R.. 1839. Southwold and its Vacinity. Southwold in the 16th century.
- <S5> SSF50156 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783.
- <S6> SSF57332 Unpublished document: Bescoby, D.. 2015. Gun Hill and Silkman's Hill, Southwold: A Geophysical Investigation.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 17 2016 10:21AM