Listed Building: BEDINGFIELD HALL (281293)

Find out more about .

Grade II*
Volume/Map/Item 281293
Date assigned 29 July 1955
Date last amended


BEDINGFIELD TM 16 NE 4/12 Bedingfield Hall (formerly listed as Beding- 29.7.55 field Holland barn) - II* Manor farmhouse. In 2 sections. Early C14 east range with long c.1600 range to west, set corner-to-corner with the older range and forming an L-shape plan. Various small one-storey additions. Timber framed and plastered, the ground floor mostly underbuilt in colourwashed brick. Roofs of old plaintiles except rear slope of east wing which has glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys with attics to west range. Various casement windows, mostly 3-light mullion and transom pattern of C18 date. North gable end of west range has a slatted ground floor window. Above is an original 5-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom window, slightly projecting. 2 other original windows in this chamber are visible internally. The tie beam at this gable end also has ovolo moulding. East range has a C20 gabled porch of colourwashed brick; within is a mid C20 panelled door. West range has a C19 6-panel raised and fielded door and another 6-panel door of mid C20 date. The north end of this range has 2 mid C20 garage entrances. West range has a good internal stack with 4 detached octagonal shafts, each with moulded base and cap. A C19 stack inserted into this range has a mid C20 shaft. East range has external stacks against each gable end, that to the south with a plain oblong axial shaft of C17 date. Interior. The east range comprises 2 bays of an unusually tall aisled house which once continued further north. The structure has been exposed only in the end bay. Irregular arcade posts, once chamfered; all 6 posts have been cut just above the mortices for the arcade plate braces. The partition wall had passing braces, part of one still in situ. In the rear wall of the end bay is an original doorway with short solid curved braces in the angles (one renewed). The cross-partition has a similar doorway and a wider opening, probably a serving hatch, adjacent. The end bay has traces of sooting and it may have been a kitchen, with the pantry and buttery to the north. The present roof over this range is of C18 date. Open fireplace in east gable end incorporates re-used stonework; first floor fireplace has brick arch. Evidence for another fireplace, back-to-back with the one on the ground floor, indicates this range was once extended to the south. West range probably comprised parlour, hall and a 2-cell service end, all built in one phase; the hall was latterly used as a scullery and this part, together with the service end and attics, remains unmodernised. Service chamber at north end has substantial studding with reverse-curved braces on the outside. C17 newel stair from chamber to attic. 2 original attic fireplaces with 4-centred arches, stuccoed and lined, one retaining original oak hearth. Roof has 2 rows of butt purlins and cranked wind braces; evidence for original dormers. Interior of hall chamber and parlour cell not examined. Encircling medieval moat, also enclosing a fish pond. Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977, pp.249-50. Listing NGR: TM1990267756

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference TM 19902 67756 (point)
Map sheet TM16NE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 3 2011 3:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.