Listed Building: MILL FARMHOUSE (279380)

Find out more about .

Grade II
Authority
Volume/Map/Item 279380
Date assigned 26 March 1987
Date last amended

Description

LITTLE STONHAM CHURCH LANE TM 16 SW 2/129 Mill Farmhouse - II Former farmhouse. Early C15 core with alterations of late C16 and C19. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and roughcast. Pantiled roof with chimneys of red brick; an end chimney to the parlour of c.1600 has a diaperwork pattern in burnt headers; an axial C18/C19 chimney. Various C19 and C20 casements. C19 4-panelled entrance door in C19 extension. A central 2-bay C15 open hall has most of the upper bay intact, and a part of the lower bay. The open truss is fully exposed, an inserted upper floor having been removed in C20: cambered tie-beam with massive arch-braces rising from shafts. Coupled-rafter roof, heavily smoke-encrusted. One hall window has its transome and diamond mullions in the upper light. The doorway to the parlour has a 4-centred arched head. Close-studding without visible bracing. Parlour cell rebuilt late C16, with roll-moulded joists and ovolo-moulded and channelled main beam. The two lintelled fireplaces are flanked by a newel staircase, and by garderobes on each floor; 2 doorways with depressed arched heads. 2-tier butt-purlin roof. The service cell of the C15 house was rebuilt in C18/early C19 with original components. Listing NGR: TM1140560142

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference TM 11405 60142 (point)
Map sheet TM16SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Record last edited

May 22 2008 12:06PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.