|Date last amended
Site of Little Saxham Hall.
A complex of 2 or possibly 3 conjoined rectangular moats. Unoccupied. Isolated. An L-shaped moated site about 121m x 128m with fairly broad wet moats on all sides, except the E angle. In the SW corner the moat has been ? opened into a large pond. There is a brick built bridge with two arches (? C18) across the N arm of the moat (S1).
The Hall was built by Thomas Lucas, Solicitor-General to Henry VII. A MS in the BM lists the expenditure incurred in its building. Pulled down in 1773. Cropmarks of building foundations were clearly seen in the dry summer of 1976 (S1).
Hall pulled down in 1773 by Richard Crofts (S2).
Brickwork and a second bridge abutment found on the inner side of the NW arm of the moat as a result of dredging 1985/1986 (see parish file/(S3)). Building accounts of 1505-14 considered in (S4).
Buildings in complex probably included dove house - see Misc.
For associated Park - see SXL 011.
Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file.
Centred TL 8066 6334 (144m by 182m)
||THE SAXHAMS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Jul 20 2012 1:57PM