Monument record SXL 001 - Site of Little Saxham Hall; Crofts Place

Please read our .

Summary

Site of Little Saxham Hall.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 806 633 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TL86SW
Civil Parish THE SAXHAMS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Site of Little Saxham Hall.
A complex of 2 or possibly 3 conjoined rectangular moats. Unoccupied. Isolated. An L-shaped moated site about 121m x 128m with fairly broad wet moats on all sides, except the E angle. In the SW corner the moat has been ? opened into a large pond. There is a brick built bridge with two arches (? C18) across the N arm of the moat (S1).
The Hall was built by Thomas Lucas, Solicitor-General to Henry VII. A MS in the BM lists the expenditure incurred in its building. Pulled down in 1773. Cropmarks of building foundations were clearly seen in the dry summer of 1976 (S1).
Hall pulled down in 1773 by Richard Crofts (S2).
Brickwork and a second bridge abutment found on the inner side of the NW arm of the moat as a result of dredging 1985/1986 (see parish file/(S3)). Building accounts of 1505-14 considered in (S4).
Buildings in complex probably included dove house - see Misc.
For associated Park - see SXL 011.
Scheduled

Sources/Archives (13)

  • <M1> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 40, 1903, 69.
  • <S1> Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
  • <R2> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SW7.
  • <M2> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXIV, 79.
  • <R3> (No record type): Building accounts 1505-14: British Library Add MS7097 from 174-200.
  • <M3> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of C18 copy map of 1638.
  • <S3> (No record type): DOE, Sherlock D, 1986.
  • <S4> (No record type): Airs M, The designing of 5 E Anglian country houses 1505-1637, Architectural History 21, 1978, 58-67.
  • <S5> (No record type): Hervey S H A, Little Saxham Parish Registers, 1901, 218.
  • <S6> (No record type): 1776 copy of a map of 1638, Suffolk Record Office, Bury.
  • <S7> Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. BW/99/16/15, January 1999.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (4)

Record last edited

Jun 26 2009 10:19AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.