Clare Camp formerly Erbury.
Appears to have been used as a manorial compound for the Manor of Clare. Mention of repairs to barns, dovehouse, granary and the servants houses 'apud Erdebir', 1309-1310 (R1).
Circa 1509-1534 Queen Katherine granted the common lands called Houndwall and Erbury Garden, part of the demesne of the manor, to be used as common pasture for poor people. Common was subsequently divided into cattle walks (R2). Finds of Med pottery and metalwork - see Parish file.
One and three quarter acres of Lower Common allotted to the Vicar was divided off in C19. Lies on S side (R3).
Camp Close - map shows a Smallpox house in N part of enclosure (R4). A roughly polygonal enclosure of 7 or 8 acres, with a double bank and ditch, the outer bank being lower. Appears to be later than the present arrangement of streets and lanes, is not Prehistoric, nor Roman and generally suggests a large Med manor house, possibly an additional dwelling place of the Clares and their successors at the Castle. The nearest parallels in shape and position are Fechenham and Gillingham. Two entrances (E end of N and S end of E) at least, are original.