Monument record CLA 010 - Lower Common, Clare Camp; Erbury (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Scheduled Monument - Clare Camp, formerly Erbury.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 768 458 (494m by 461m)
Map sheet TL74NE
Civil Parish CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Clare Camp formerly Erbury.
Appears to have been used as a manorial compound for the Manor of Clare. Mention of repairs to barns, dovehouse, granary and the servants houses 'apud Erdebir', 1309-1310 (R1).
Circa 1509-1534 Queen Katherine granted the common lands called Houndwall and Erbury Garden, part of the demesne of the manor, to be used as common pasture for poor people. Common was subsequently divided into cattle walks (R2). Finds of Med pottery and metalwork - see Parish file.
One and three quarter acres of Lower Common allotted to the Vicar was divided off in C19. Lies on S side (R3).
Camp Close - map shows a Smallpox house in N part of enclosure (R4). A roughly polygonal enclosure of 7 or 8 acres, with a double bank and ditch, the outer bank being lower. Appears to be later than the present arrangement of streets and lanes, is not Prehistoric, nor Roman and generally suggests a large Med manor house, possibly an additional dwelling place of the Clares and their successors at the Castle. The nearest parallels in shape and position are Fechenham and Gillingham. Two entrances (E end of N and S end of E) at least, are original (S1).
1991: Overgrown. St Edmundsbury DC say all of Lower Common should be registered as of archaeological importance in view of double ditched approach to earthwork, perhaps cursus (S3).
See also Un for details of earthwork.

Sources/Archives (12)

  • <R1> (No record type): Thornton G A, History of Clare, 1928, 18.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
  • <S1> Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
  • <R2> (No record type): Clare Parochial Docs (W Suff Rec Office FL501).
  • <M2> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <S2> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs PQ 31, 1955; BEQ 30 (19710119).
  • <R3> (No record type): Map, W Suff Rec Office, FL501/11/504.
  • <S3> (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
  • <M3> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP PQ 31 & BEQ 30.
  • <R4> Map: 1848. Clare Tithe Map.
  • <S4> Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 768 457/JEJ 4-7, 24/7/1992.
  • <R5> Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 1907, plan, 888-890.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

May 8 2019 6:05PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.