Monument record BSE 068 - Eastgate Street

Please read our .


East Gate of Bury St Edmunds, site of.


Grid reference Centred TL 8577 6437 (36m by 38m)
Map sheet TL86SE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

East Gate of Bury St Edmunds, site of. Shown on Thomas Warren's 1776 map of Bury (S1).
The East Gate was erected at the bottom of Mustow (Street) and if we are to believe Tymm's 'Handbook of Bury St Edmunds' (R1), there was an All Souls Gate, higher up Eastgate Street (S2).
Several of the gates of Bury were sketched by Thomas Martin, FSA, about 1750 (S2).
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S3).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S2).
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Tymms, Handbook of Bury St Edmunds (7th ed), 1897, 126.
  • <S1> (No record type): EAA, 1, 1975, 53, fig 30 (copy of Warren's map).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Newspaper Article. Bury Post, 'Random Roamings - Last Relic of the Borough Walls', 12 October 1928, 3.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 30 2012 11:37AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.