Poorly Located Monument record CAV 078 - Possible Medieval Knights Templar preceptory
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 81 47 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Possible Knights Templar preceptory. Redstone writes:- "From the public records of the suppression of the Order it is seen that beside the House at Dunwich, there were Temples at Togrind, near Cavendish, and at Icklingham". He adds "A Simon de Heyfford is mentioned as warden of the Temple of Togrind, 10th November, 1312...." (S1). However, Hadcock locates this at Cavenham (see Cavenham Misc)(S2)(R1)(R2).
Formerly recorded as CAV MISC
- <S1> SSF17532 (No record type): Redstone V B `House of the Knights Templars - Dunwich', PSIA, 14, 1912, 332-333.
- <R1> SSF7216 (No record type): Hadcock N, letter 12-7-65.
- <R2> SSF10378 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles D & Hadcock R N, Med Religious Houses, 1971, 292-293.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE37, 1965 & 1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:35AM