Monument record RSM 003 - A manorial quadrangular bank
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4065 8425 (301m by 189m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||REDISHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A manorial quadrangular bank lies to the SW of Redisham Church, close to the S side of the road (S1).
No trace of this particular feature on the ground, but in the area centred TM 405 843 are the amorphous remains of dry shallow gullies and low banks and mounds, forming no coherent pattern, under rough pasture. Probably part of the Med settlement pattern of Redisham (JRL OS F1 9/7/1973) (S2). The earthworks described above are vaguely visible on RAF APs and may be the result of village shrinkage. A well-defined embanked enclosure at TM 4048 8434 could be associated with the "manorial quadrangular bank" in (S1) (S2). Possible deserted village ? Site of "Redisham Magna" TM 407 844 was suggested by P Warner (Leicester University PhD thesis) (No evidence given) (S2) (from (R2)).
Earthworks S of the Church farm and E of Poplartree farm. In the field S of the road (OS field number Redisham 70), and forming a continuous line of Med settlement up to the Ilketshall parish boundary. In unploughed pasture. Visited January 1975. Two photographs in winter with snow and floods (S3).
- <R1> SSF17403 (No record type): RAF, AP 106G/UK/930 4172-4173, 16/10/1945.
- <M1> SSF38340 (No record type): Bibliography general file : copy of Warner P thesis.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 625.
- <R2> SSF11146 (No record type): Medieval village research group, Report number 24, 1976, 10.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48SW12, 1978.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : two photographs by Warner P M.
- <S3> SSF22782 (No record type): Warner P, undated.
- <R3> SSF22795 (No record type): Warner P, University of Leicester PhD thesis, unpublished.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2022 3:41PM