Monument record BUC 025 - Probable round barrow, visible as a ring ditch cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2417 4257 (44m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch. Single circle, circa 30m diameter, within & to NE of cropmark complex BUC 012 (S1).
Formerly part of BUC 012.
The remains of a probable round barrow can be seen as a ring ditch cropmark, circa 450 metres to the north of Bucklesham village, Bucklesham parish, at TM241425. The ditch is on average approximately 4 metres in width, enclosing an area circa 24 metres in diameter. The crop within the central area appears paler than that of the surrounding area on many of the available images. This may indicate a compacted or embanked area, possibly supporting the interpretation of this site as a barrow. The ring ditch appears to be respected by the extensive cropmark complex to the south (BUC 069) which is probably largely medieval or later in origin, potentially indicating the monuments survival as an earthwork at this time. (S4-6)
- <S1> SSF18677 (No record type): SAU, APs ACQ 24, 25, ACU 3-5, July 1976.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU ACQ 24, 25, ACU 3-5; CUCAP CJB 67.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP CJB 67, 27 June 1979.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/18/1, June 1996.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2442/6 (EXC 16930/01) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2442/3/200 (SF1658) 12-JUN-1979.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2442/3/192 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 11:38AM