Monument record HAM 001 - Moated Site in Moatyard Covert (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 450 795 (110m by 160m)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD WITH HENHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moated site in Moatyard Covert. A wide roughly rectangular moat, now dry and up to 7 ft deep enclosing an area about 200 ft x 175 ft (S2). There are no surface indications of a former building within the moat although extensive nettle growth and a surface scatter of oyster shells, mussel shells, and fragmentary pottery ranging from Rom to late Med are evidence of long occupation (S1).
For other information on this site see CRN 01110.
Shown on a map of 1699 as an unoccupied rectangular moat with a projection linking up with the river on the N side and a similar projection on the S side. The area is labelled `The Moatyards' (S3).
1991: Monument sited in woodland reserved for shooting (S4).
- <M1> SSF42641 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47NE4, 1970 (ill).
- <S2> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF11894 (No record type): Nicholson R, Part of the Manor of Henham 1699, SRO (1), HA11/C9/19.
- <S4> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- FSF16060: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13928)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13783)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13512)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (JB F1) (Ref: OS (JB F1)) (ESF12800)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2012 2:57PM