Monument record EYE 031 - Eye Castle; Kerrison's Folly (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1478 7379 (54m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
March 1990: Excavation of 1m square against inside edge of Kerrison's Folly, on top of castle motte. Aimed to ascertain base for C19 folly construction. No positive dating evidence but probably constructed directly on top of the Med walls of the castle keep. Details in (S1).
May 1996: Small excavation on motte of Eye Castle to deduct the relationship between the curtain walls with the motte and keep. Excavation suggests that the cutain wall ended at this point, just short of the west dide of the cutting. The cutting is of 16th century date. The base of the cutain wall appears to have been set in a trench excavated into the motte. Revealed curtain walls were probably concreted to the keep by a bridge structure at a higher level. Details in (S3)(S5).
For Motte and Bailey & other excavations, see EYE 016.
- <S1> SSF19336 (No record type): SAU, Loader T, excavation summary, March 1990, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S3).
- <M2> SSF39965 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF54903 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 1996. Excavation, Eye Castle.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(3) 1991 p267.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), P.95.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2013 3:35PM