Monument record LMD 058 - Melford Hall; Melford Park (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8704 4631 (1047m by 926m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Melford Hall (see PMed) on site of house which before the Dissolution belonged to the abbotts of Bury St Edmunds (S1)(S2). Rectangular moat survives to N (dry) W & S with two (originally three) fishponds to S of house (S2).
Until the C18, "the moat, then filled with water, continued round on the N side, but was covered over along the E side in front of the Hall, about 45 yards in advance of the entrance-court. There was a gateway with a bridge over the N moat .... the N moat (was) dried, and ..... after the present semi-circular moats were dug ....., with other alterations, about the year 1730" (S4).
Licenced to empark in 1613, replacing earlier park. Note ?deer park to E (S3).
2006: Monitoring of works for the replacement of the drains at Long Melford Hall. The results of the monitoring demonstrated that archaeological deposits associated with the earlier medieval buildings and occupation survive on the site (S5).
See also PMed and Un.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975 (ed), 350-351.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/14/1.
- <S2> SSF5725 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks & Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Part 39 Suff.
- <S3> SSF5455 (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, map 23.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 252-253.
- <S5> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Gill D, SCCAS 2006/172.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 11:56AM