Monument record SUT 049 - Cropmarks of irregular linear features
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 319 450 (341m by 416m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- SETTLEMENT? (Unknown date)
- SETTLEMENT? (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY? (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY? (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- ENCLOSURE? (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
Irregular complex of small ?fields etc, NW of scheduled area & allotments, visible on 1959 APs (S1).
September 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The complex of field boundaries, possible trackways and enclosures described above are visible on aerial photographs (S1)
It is possible that these cropmarks represent at least in part geological features, but they have been recorded due to the significance of the barrow cemetery (SHER STT 064) and related linear features (SHER STT 004) to the southeast, and a late prehistoric date has tentatively been suggested for them in the light of their partial similarity to the linear features recorded as SHER STT 004.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 24th September 2015.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2015 11:56AM