Monument record BCC 003 - Roos Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4152 9005 (112m by 114m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||BECCLES, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rose or Roos Hall is a small two-storeyed brick house partly surrounded by a moat. The water pipes bear the date of its erection, 1583, and the initials of Thomas Colby, the builder, and Beatrice Felton, his wife. This was the manor or lordship of Roos Hall which appears to have taken its name from the family of de Roos, who were lords of the manor in the beginning of the C13 (S1)(S2).
Roos Hall: a red brick, three-storeyed house, with enriched turrets and chimneys and heavily pedimented windows. A good, if small, example of its type, and little altered. The water pipes referred to by Tymms still exist. The moat has been filled in except for a fragment on the S side of the house which has been incorporated into the gardens of the house as a rockery (S1). 1816 Engraving of Roos Hall showing large wide moat (R1), now presumably largely filled in. At the bottom of the moat is a series of pools and channels made from brick covered by concrete. Visited and surveyed by C L Davey, 7 Meadow Gardens, Beccles, on 10 September 1985, who also made notes on the exterior of the hall. Report includes illustrations and eight photographs. Site is approximately 60m E of Barsham/Beccles parish boundary and circa 70m SW of parish church of St Michael, Beccles (S3).
The moat has been filled in except for a fragment on the S. side of the house which has been incorporated into the gardens of the house as a rockery (S4).
- <R1> SSF4224 (No record type): Cromwell Thomas Kitson, Excursions through Suffolk, 1818, 2, Longman and Company.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48SW5, 1962.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Davey C L, site report, September 1985 with illustrations and.
- <S2> SSF22286 (No record type): Tymms S, Rose Hall, Beccles, PSIA, 4, 1865, (2), 94-98.
- <M2> SSF37542 (No record type): photographs.
- <M3> SSF37543 (No record type): Photographs: AXU 28-35.
- <S3> SSF5001 Unpublished document: Davey C L. 1985. Davey C L, site report, September 1985.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 CFW 06-SEP-62.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2022 12:04PM