Monument record FRD 009 - Boundary Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1870 6077 (150m by 131m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FRAMSDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WINSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Remains of decorative garden features at Boundary Farm:
1. Summerhouse or gazebo (TM 1870 6080). This was attached (bonded in) to the S side of the brick garden wall that bounds the road, on the N side of the house. This was seen in the last stages of decay by C Morley in 1916 (S1) and Rev E Farrer in 1920 (S2). It was a rectangular brick structure with arched doorways on the S, W & E sides. Two windows flanked the S doorway and one each between each side arch and the corner. The structure was gabled on the E & W sides, with a tiled roof. Inside, there was a plaster ceiling with moulded fleurs-de-lys and Tudor roses, with some lily sprigs. Said to have been 12 to 15ft square (S1) or 16ft square (S2). Only the foundations and 2 stub walls projecting from the garden wall now (1990) remain. The foundations indicate that it measured 14.5ft E to W and probably 13.5ft N to S. There are indications that the rafters for the roof rested on the top of the garden wall, at a height of 6ft. The brickwork is English bond, bricks 9 1/16 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/4 ins. The summerhouse and garden wall are bonded in, indicating that they are contemporary.
2. Linear pond or canal (TM 1872 6078). Approximately 6m wide x 54m long, with straight sides. Small overflow channel at the W end. At the E end there are the remains of two flights of shallow brick steps, divided in the centre by a narrow brick pier. Bricks 8 15/16-9 x 4 1/2 x 2 ins. Bricks set on sand overlying the clay side. Mortar adhering to the faces of one or two of the bricks at a low level might indicate that the steps were originally rendered over. A brick-lined culvert cuts across the northern corner of the brick stair. This culvert contains the remains of a wooden water pipe. This has a wooden bung at its end, which would serve to deflect the flow of water vertically through a vertical part of the pipe, the upper part of which has rotted away. The bricks in the culvert are more regular than those of the stair and measure 9 x 4 1/4-4 x 2 1/2 ins and are probably C18 or early C19. The base of a plinth with similar bricks overlies the top of the central pier of the stairs. Rodding indicated that the wooden pipe continued in a NW direction for at least 12-15m. presumably this pipe supplied a fountain or a cascade over the stair. A modern concrete flight of steps overlies part of the brick stair. The stairs, culvert and pipe were revealed when the pond was cleaned out in Autumn 1990. A broad terrace flanks the S side of the pond, with views into the valley below.
3. Ornamental stable (TM 1865 6072). This is a brick structure with decorative `Dutch' gables and blue brick diapering. Three-bay front, a large central opening (now partly blocked) with straight entablature above made of moulded brick rendered to imitate stone, flanked by two windows (one now converted into a door). with pediments over. Within each pediment are small square panels of stone with the eroded remains of some carved device. Two windows above. Interior largely gutted; in the middle a carved wooden knob pendant from the first floor joists; remains of a fireplace at first floor level, but no chimney. Brickwork is English bond, bricks 9 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/8-2 1/4 ins; probably circa 1600-1650.
Boundary Farm - so called because it is bisected by the Framsden-Winston boundary belonged to the Wythe family in the C17, the last of whom, James Wythe gent, died in 1669. His freehold lands in Framsden were willed to his eldest daughter's son, John Cornwallis. Cornwallis died in 1698, as of Wingfield. Boundary Farm then seems to have passed to another of Wythe's grandsons, Edward Mann. A brand stamp for E. MANN (for this Edward or his son of the same name) occurs above a fireplace in the house. E. Mann junior was of Framsden in 1724, but of Stradbroke in 1727.
Excavation details (S4)
- <S1> SSF11504 (No record type): Morley C, The Boundary Farm, Winston, E Anglian Miscellany, 1916, no. 4627.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: annotated map & notes.
- <S2> SSF6256 (No record type): Farrer E, The Boundary Farm, Framsden, E Anglian Miscellany, 1920, no. 5779 etc.
- <S3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 222 (confuses the summerhouse with th.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(3) 1991 p268.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2010 4:44PM