Monument record BLB 015 - Double-ditched sub-rectangular enclosure, shown as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4645 7405 (405m by 391m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BLYTHBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
?Double-ditched sub-rectangular enclosoure shown as a cropmark on boundary of Blythburgh and Walberswick parishes. Circa 150m x 100 (S1). Appears to be single continuous ditch, as a `rectangular spiral'!, running on interior from SW corner to exterior E side. Follows line of field boundaries - probably agricultural in origin? On parish boundary - ?also marked by ploughed out ditch and banks in N half of field (S1).
?Fieldwalked by P Warner.
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Upon examination of the available aerial photographs the feature described above was considered more likely to be agricultural than archaeological in nature. The parish boundary is visible as an earthwork (S2-S3), along with a possible enclosure to the north of the field, and two further earthwork ditches, which are later visible as cropmarks (S4), but these features have not been mapped as they are beyond the scope of the current project.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 14th January 2015.
- <S1> SSF22788 (No record type): Warner P, APs BZK 33-35, 1979.
- <M1> SSF39175 (No record type): APs: (P Warner) BZK 33-35.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1707 RP 3268-3269 29-AUG-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1674 F21 0221-0222 04-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 3586087-3586088 29-JUN-1986 (Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2015 1:23PM