Monument record PSG 005 - New House Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7790 4812 (209m by 142m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||POSLINGFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- POND (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- PARK (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- GARDEN (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- CANAL (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- HOUSE (16th century to 18th century - 1501 AD to 1700 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- LANDSCAPE FEATURE (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
Remains of early 18th century garden/small park formerly interpreted as parts of a medieval moat (S1).
Linear ponds from part of the boundary of the park on the SE and SW sides and a now filled-in L-shaped pond formed part of the N boundary. SW pond is still wet, though silted, and has a hedge and bank on the SW side and an outlet/overflow at the SE end. The SE pond is dry and partially infilled with scrub. In the centre is a straight garden canal still wet. The S part of the park is still grassland (S2).
A park is indicated on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783, but an estate map of 1806 shows the layout in more detail (omits SW pond but shows SE one). Aligned on the long axis of the canal with Walnut Tree Close. A fence divides this strip from the house yards on the N side; on the S side there is another linear strip (?a broad hedge) and a small structure, possibly a summerhouse. This strip divides the long ?walkway from a larger tapering enclosure with a cruciform pattern of paths that is probably a formal/kitchen garden. An L-shaped building shown adjacent to the SW side of the house, was possibly a stable (S3). The 1841 Tithe Map shows a similar layout (omits both the SE and SW boundary ponds) but shows the thin linear strips aligned on the canal, the outline of the formal garden but not the paths, also shows the ?summerhouse and a small fragment of the L-shaped building (S4). House is timber-framed at the S end, with a late 17th century brick block added at the N end. The main facade faces NE. Beneath the brick part are vaulted brick cellars. The 1806 map shows an additional wing on the SE side which had gone by 1841.
Property was acquired by the Golding family in 1540 as the manor or tenement of Bustalmynes (given by a John Burstemyn/Bruslemyn to Dunmow Priory in 1328/ 9). A newly-built messuage called `The Newhouse' is referred to in 1572 (S3). Garden features may be attributed to George Golding (c.1671-1739) who succeeded his father in 1702 and made a prestigous marriage to the daughter of Viscount Howe. Golding family seem to move away to Thoringdon Hall between 1762 and 1788 (S5).
See also PSG 007 for an associated avenue and 008 for dovecote and 009 for brick kiln.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Notes on (S3) and (S4) in (S5), includes maps..
- <S1> SSF7379 (No record type): HDAG Journal, 3, 1984, (3), 140, 142, 158, ill.
- <S2> SSF10948 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, site visit, 1993.
- <M2> SSF42840 (No record type): Letter to D Byford..
- <S3> SSF21865 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, HA537.
- <S4> SSF56637 Map: 1842. Poslingford Tithe Map.
- <S5> SSF10931 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, notes on New House.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2016 2:19PM