Monument record BSE 095 - Comb shops, Boby Trading Estate
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 851 640 (35m by 47m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Longstanding industrial uses of this site just outside western walls of the Medieval town. The Warren map of 1776 suggested the presence of a `watchhouse' and `lime kiln' (BSE 077). Historical survey found no trace of `watchhouse', but introduced `comb shops' related to wollen industry (S1).
1991: Evaluation showed that the site was very badley disturbed by the more recent industrial use. Only a small area beneath the E-W axial road was preserved. Remains of buildings of ?C18, ?C19 were found, including a floor and walls, and interpreted as the comb shops shown to exist by (S1) and the Warren map, 1791 (S2).
Further excavation in advance of development recommended.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2018 2:49PM