Monument record THB 005 - Five storey tower mill built in the C18.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4399 6567 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||THEBERTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Five storey tower mill built in the C18. It was probably rebuilt by Whitmore's in the C19. It ceased work about 1920 and was pulled down in the 1920's. The shell of the base remains in the middle of a field. There were four patent sails, two pairs of stones and an ogee cap with gallery and fantail (S1)(S4).
(Photographed in 1971)
According to Flint, it was demolished in 1923 (S2). The base of the mill is still present.
Sited after (S4)(R1).
- <R1> SSF12899 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1884.
- <M1> SSF43503 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 48.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SSF5271 (No record type): Dolman P C J, letter to SAU and list of Suffolk Windmills on maps.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM46NW10.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 11 2018 11:37AM