Monument record CDD 033 - Site of a Post Medieval post mill demolished in 1909.

Please read our .


Large post mill built in 1810 demolished in 1909, replaced earlier post mill shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map.


Grid reference Centred TM 134 543 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TM15SW


Type and Period (0)

Full Description

`Large post mill with two storey roundhouse, built in 1810. It ceased work c. 1900 and was demolished in 1909. The foundations and part of the cobblestone fan track can be traced. There were four patent sails, two pairs of stones and a fantail' (S1).
Replaced (?) - post mill first mapped by Hodskinson in 1783 (S2)(S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <M1> (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 50.
  • <S2> (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 132.
  • <S3> (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of Suffolk windmills on maps, undated ms.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 24 2013 4:28PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.