Monument record WRE 009 - Old Meetinghouse Farm (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4851 8257 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WRENTHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of `Old Meetinghouse Farm', marked on OS 1st edition map (circa 1837) and the Provisional edition 1:10560 map. On modern 1:1000 map the site is marked by a small coniferous plantation. OS 1st edition map also marks `clay pit' immediately to the south of the farmstead site. A Congregational community was established at Wrentham by 1649-50, one of only two in Suffolk at that date. A meeting house at Wrentham was licenced in 1672. The Chapel at Old Meetinghouse Farm was built in 1710 but was superceded by another in the main village in 1778 (S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF19401 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1991.
- <R1> SSF2428 (No record type): Browne J, History of Congregational Church at Wrentham, 1854.
- <S2> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 545.
- <S3> SSF2429 (No record type): Browne J, History of Congregationalism in Norfolk & Suffolk, 1877, 432-433.
- <S4> SSF7631 (No record type): Hosken T J, History of Congregationalism in Suffolk. 1920, 60 & 158.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 9 1991 12:00AM