Monument record LMD 069 - Melford Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 892 501 (1133m by 1707m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Melford Park - large deer park belonging to the Abbots of Bury St Edmunds. Named, under its earlier name of Elmsett, as a valuable possession of the Abbot, circa 1200. Shown and named as Melforde Parke on a map of 1580. Disparked between 1580 and 1613 (S1). Boundary survives best where it is also the parish boundary, elsewhere much has been flattened, but some areas show as cropmarks (as near Dunton's Farm). For the park lodge, see LMD 070. Cropmarks LMD 064 include part of the park boundary; some of the other works may also be related to park structures. (S2)
- <S1> SSF5447 (No record type): Dymond D & Johnstone G, Israel Amyce's Map of Melford Manor 1580, n.d. but c. 1990.
- <S2> SSF58663 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R, 'Hunting Suffolk's Parks: towards a reliable chronology of imparkment' 92, 157, 163.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2021 3:04AM