Monument record BNH 041 - Euston to Cambridge mains water pipeline Thetford Aqueduct
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 831 775 (206m by 53m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- FEATURE (Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 801 BC)
- POST HOLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- PIT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 801 BC (at some time))
- HOUSE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1001 BC)
February - March 1991: fieldwalking assessment prior to `Thetford Aqueduct' water pipeline located continuous loose, but relatively concentrated scatter, of at least 16 burnt and 14 worked flints, plus a possible burnt flint patch from TL 8300 7751 to TL 8320 7752 (S1).
October 1991: following topsoil stripping, area of brown ?Preh soil overlying various features rapidly examined (due to imminent destruction by pipe-trenching machine). This site represents a small settlement occupation in the Earlier and Later Bronze Age. There was at least one and possibly two houses on the site of possible Early or Middle Bronze Age date (flint and grog tempered pottery), with a small number of dispersed features somwe of which were probably of Late Bronze Age date (hard, flint tempered pottery). There was a large quantity of burnt debris but it was not clear whether this represented destruction deposits or occupation detritus. The presence of an intermittant occupation layer containing similar [Late?] Bronze Age pottery but sealing one of the charcoal deposits probably indicates that occupation was continuing in the area after the abandonment of these buildings but there is no evidence to suggest how extensive this occupation might be. Details to follow (S2 & S3).
- <S1> SSF20088 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, Assessment survey results, 1991.
- <M1> SSF40014 (No record type): Thetford aqueduct file:.
- <S2> SSF19157 (No record type): SAU, Caruth J & Gill D, excavation archive, October 1991.
- <M2> SSF40015 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF53731 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1995. Archaeological Report, Euston to Cambridge Water Mains Pipeline.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2015 2:23PM