Monument record BNH 043 - Gravel Hill (Tilbrooks)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 883 790 (243m by 149m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- PIT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POST HOLE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- BURNT MOUND (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- PIT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- POST HOLE (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Younger Dryas to Late Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Early Iron Age - 800 BC to 401 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
April 1992: Fieldwalking assessment of proposed gravel pit site. Located circa 30 worked and burnt flints and four flint filled sherds (later Bronze Age/EIA?)(S1).
October 1992: Excavation of area to W of plantation (E half of site) located large number of prehistoric features and artefacts.
December 1994 - January 1995 & April 1995: Further excavations to the west of above located continuing evidence if Iron Age and Bronze Age ocucpation extending westward along the east-west running gravel ridge. A scatter of pottery was detected in the lower plough soil and a low density of pits, postholes, and burnt flint patches were spread across the site. The results mirror those made in 1992 in suggesting settlement was characterised by unstructured domestic occupation (S3). Rom finds consisted of occasional sherds of pottery only - background manuring scatter?
Oct 2008: pottery identified as principally Early Iron Age (including Fengate/Cromer ware) by Matt Brudenell.
- <S1> SSF17976 Unpublished document: Caruth, J., and Gill, D.. 1992. Field Report and Fieldwalking Archive: Gravel Hill, Barnham. SAU (Caruth J & Gill D), field report and fieldwalking archive, BNH 043, April/May 1992.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S3).
- <S2> SSF19160 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1992. Archaeological Excavation Report: Gravel Hill Plantation, Barnham.
- <M2> SSF43737 (No record type): Evaluation & Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF20821 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Gravel Hill, Barnham.
- <S4> SSF57680 Finds Report: Percival, S.. 1995. Gravel Hill, Barnham - The Prehistoric Pottery.
- FSF18357: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF18358: POT BOILER (MIS13 to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF18359: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF18360: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF18361: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF18362: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF18363: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Younger Dryas to Late Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- FSF18364: POTTERY (Early Iron Age - 800 BC? to 401 BC?)
- FSF18365: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF18366: LOOMWEIGHT (Early Iron Age - 800 BC? to 401 BC?)
- FSF18367: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (AT) (Ref: SAU (AT)) (ESF16076)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (AT, JC & DG) (Ref: SAU (AT, JC & DG)) (ESF15587)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring - Gravel Hill, Barnham (ESF16144)
- Event - Survey: SAU (JC & DG), fieldwalking assessment, 29 April 1 (ESF17087)
Record last edited
Nov 18 2019 2:45PM