Monument record WNG 024 - Fishpond; Puthawk Mere; Livermere
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7637 8411 (242m by 206m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Site of former pond on the Wangford/Brandon boundary, now showing as a crescent-shaped depression. Shown as an elongated oval and named as "Fish Pond" in 1783 (S1).
Shown as a long rectangle and labelled "The Fishponds" 1836 (S2). Named as "Puthawk Mere" in 1842 (S3).
Shown as linear ditches/channels on 1: 10560 scale map of 1900s.
Pond lies to the N of the earthworks of a Cistercian grange variously called Wangford, Livermere or Elmermere Grange (S4).
Fields in Brandon are recorded as Lyvermerefeld and Almermerefeld in 1251 (S4).
In 1838 there was a field called Livermere Breck nearly in Brandon (S5). It is possible this pond was originally called Livermere.
Area of small fishpond earthworks within former mere exist on land just to SW of Forestry Commission land - these look recent (one still water filled) and are not shown on early OS maps cited above. Main mere area cleared of trees in 2006/7 and replanted in 2008 - clear remains of peat soils showing suggesting possible good environmental evidence survival (in an area largely devoid of this evidence!).
See also WNG 023.
- <S1> SSF7538 (No record type): Hodskinson J, Map of Suffolk 1783 (Suffolk Record Soc 1972).
- <S2> SSF12367 (No record type): OS 1st edition one inch map, 1836.
- <S3> SSF22213 Map: 1842. Wangford Tithe Map. Tithe Map, Wangford, 1842.
- <S4> SSF11589 (No record type): Munday J T, Brandon Manor Rolls, 1972.
- <S5> SSF22181 Map: 1832/38. Brandon Tithe Map and Apportionment. Tithe Map and Apportionment, Brandon, 1832 and 1838.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2018 2:46PM