Monument record LMD 077 - Kentwell Park and Avenue (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 86 47 (1467m by 1873m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Kentwell Park: landscape park shown on the OS 1st edition map (S1) and on the 1:10560 map; name still shown on modern 1:10000 map. J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783 only shows the area to the N & E of the Hall as being park. No park indicated on Emanuel Bowen's Map of Suffolk 1755. An estate map of 1613 shows most of the present park as fields, however, it does mark a pasture field of 16 acres called Park Ponds in the NW corner of the park, and beyond the known park two arable fields called The Park (34 acres) and Park Laye (27 acres), which may have been part of an earlier deer park (S2). The long avenue is shown on a late C17 map, with the inscription 'The New Walk to Kentwell Hall taken 1678' (S3). Avenue shown on J Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783. Tree-lined avenue still exists.
Gardens of moated hall c.6.5 ha, set in park of c.52 ha; gardens mid C16 onwards. Walled gardens beyond house and moat, derived from C16 enclosure, partly contained by fish pond on SW side and back moat to NW. System of moats originally surrounded wall gardens. Further details in (S4). Boundaries revised on HER map to include areas mapped by English Heritage (S4).
- <S1> SSF10746 (No record type): Map originally published 1805, revised 1839, edition of 1870s consulted.
- <S2> SSF3727 (No record type): Clopton G C, The Clopton Family, Atlanta, USA, 1984.
- <S3> SSF21845 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds, FL509/3/15a.
- <S4> SSF5736 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens, Pt 39, Suffolk, map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2022 1:41AM