Monument record BSG 008 - Felshamhall Wood: Bradfield Woods

Please read our .

Summary

Ancient coppice wood (103 acres) formerly belonging to the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 93 57 (907m by 782m)
Map sheet TL95NW
Civil Parish BRADFIELD ST GEORGE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Ancient coppice wood (103 acres) formerly belonging to the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds. Coppicing dates from before 1252. Wood is surrounded by a massive woodbank with pollard trees (S1). Now managed as a nature reserve. Adjoins Monks' Park Wood (see BSC 009).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> (No record type): Rackham O, Ancient Woodland, its history, vegetation and uses in England, 1980, 24-7.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: extract from (S1) in Bradfield St Clare parish file.
  • <M2> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BMO 18 & 23.
  • <S2> (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E (eds), An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 50-1.
  • <S3> (No record type): Rackham O, Trees and Woodland in the British Landscape, 1976, 80-3, 116, pl. ii, iii & vii.
  • <S4> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BMO 18 & 23.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 6 2008 3:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.