Monument record WHA 010 - Peyton Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Site of Peyton Hall, demolished 1950s(?).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0276 4610 (144m by 153m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM04NW
Civil Parish WHATFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Site of Peyton Hall, demolished 1950s(?). Timber framed with documentary evidence to C15/C16. Three ponds on 1973 1:10000 map, now largely filled in & site flattened (S1).
Hall & buildings shown on OS 1st edition map of circa 1838 and on OS map of 1950s, where named Peyton Farm (S2).
Probably same as Peyton's/Mannor's sub-manor, which was owned by William Timperley (linked to Drinkstone and Gt Finborough) in 1528 (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> (No record type): Wellings J (parish recorder) per SAU (JN), site report, October 1992.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
  • <S2> (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TM04NW, circa 1956.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 1 2015 10:33AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.