Monument record ARG 012 - Two bowl barrows on Aldringham Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4473 6084 (26m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
One of (three?) tumuli situated on Aldringham Green (S1) - also see ARG 001 and ARG 013.
Easternmost of three, some confusion with ARG 001.
1977: On edge of slope near vicarage, mound height 0.52m, mound diameter 16.5m, ditch width 6m, depth 0.31m. Grass and some gorse, hollow in centre (S2).
April 1992: Visited by Helen Bamford - details to follow.
January 1993: Scheduled (together with ARG 001). Visible as a mound encircled by a ditch. Mound covers a circular area circa 14m in diameter and stands to a maximum height of 0.6m. A slight hollow in the centre marks the site of an old excavation. The surrounding ditch is circa 3m wide, and is visible as a hollow 0.25m deep in the ground surface. The total diameter of the barrow is circa 20m (S3).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy 1:2500 map.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 265.
- <M2> SSF41532 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:26AM