Monument record NBN 020 - Lengths of Prehistoric ditched trackway, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2699 4430 (528m by 364m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
AP of part sub-rectangular ended double ditched enclosure or trackway? Transversed by rectangular field system (S1).
Several lengths of ditched trackway of possible later prehistoric date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, traversed by field boundaries of probable medieval or post-medieval date, to the west of New Oak Tree Farm, centred on circa TM270443, Waldringfield parish. Several different phases of land use are visible; trackways on a north-east to south-west alignment are overlain by curvilinear boundaries, probably those marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884. The trackways do not appear to be related to the probably post-medieval curvilinear boundaries or other extant field boundaries in this area and are probably earlier, possibly later prehistoric or Roman in date. (S2-4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BJQ 29, 1972.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BJQ 29.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2644/1/283 (SF1685) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2644/2 (1767/017) 04-JUL-1980.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2744/2 (CR14) 21-JUL-1975.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 2:48PM