Monument record IXW 012 - Ixworth Abbey (PMed)

Please read our .

Summary

Ixworth Abbey.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 929 705 (358m by 805m)
Map sheet TL97SW
Civil Parish IXWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (7)

Full Description

Ixworth Abbey. Following the dissolution of Ixworth Priory in 1537 the stone from the church was bought by Nicholas Bacon and taken to Redgrave and the lead bought by Sir Thomas Kytson of Hengrave (S1). The site of the Priory was granted 1538 to Richard Codyngton, in exchange for the manor of Cuddington, Surrey (later the site of Nonesuch Palace). Property inherited by Sir John Caryll who had it mapped in 1625 (S2). Map has a detailed plan of the house with rooms named. House built partly out of the refectory, dormitory and prior's lodgings of the priory, together with a new hall and parlour wing on the E side. A rectangular courtyard on the S side was entered at the SW corner by a gatehouse. To the W lay an orchard and to the S Prior's-wood, with a building named as `sick-house'. To the NW of the orchard a Pigeon House is marked. N of this there is a U-shaped group of buildings entitled `The Abbey Farms and Stables' - these are still shown on a 1796 map by Tho Warren (S3) and partly on the 1847 Tithe Map (S4); the site is now a small copse near Hemyard Bridge - centred on TL 9285 7058 (OS notes a dense copse, ground completely hidden by undergrowth, but stoney (S5)). Adjacent to this range is a small house shown built across the access way from the N - ?a gatehouse but drawing looks more like a cottage. NE of this is an enclosure containing several ponds, named as `The Mereyard, Fish Pondes and Stewes'. Now one pond with a more formal rectangular shape (shown on 1796 map). To the S, centred at TL 9306 7050, is a long linear moat - shown but not named on 1625 map; more formal shape evident by 1796. Shown as a plantation in 1847. ?Relates to the partly moated and embanked (see OS plan - (S5)) enclosure to the S (now partly built on - modern vicarage etc) - named as Little Priory in 1625 and Priory in 1796, pasture in 1847. OS suggests that the linear moat was of an ornamental nature and probably post- Dissolution (S5).
House (Ixworth Abbey) extensively remodelled circa 1600, circa 1700 and circa 1800 - the last providing Georgian N & W facades (S6). J Rowe indicates main hall and dining room added and internal alterations 1680-95; N hall built 1821 and further internal alterations (S1).
See also Med.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> (No record type): Rowe J in Sandon E, Suffolk Houses, 1977, 307-8.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: part copies of (S2) & (S4), (S3).
  • <S2> (No record type): SRO Bury acc 1991, photograph of 1834 copy of a 1625 map; also reproduced in (S1), 308.
  • <S3> (No record type): Map of Ixworth Abbey by Tho Warren, 1796, sketch copy by P Holborn, SCC Planning Dept.
  • <S4> Map: 1840. Ixworth Tithe Map. Ixworth Tithe Map, SRO Bury T68/2.
  • <S5> Index: OS. OS Card. OS card TL 97 SW 38.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 309-10.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 17 1993 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.