Monument record MNL 459 - Kings Staunch (Cow Gravel); River Lark
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6909 7435 (26m by 25m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WORLINGTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
`The most complete remains of a staunch or flash-lock in the region and possibly in the country. Brick retaining walls and lock island, with recesses for a pair of mitre gates to N of island. Weir beam in place to S of island. Inscribed stone TGC (date illegible) on island, standing for Sir Thomas Gery Cullum, who rebuilt the navigation in the 1830s and 40s. Two-storey lock cottage with stone inscribed TGC 1842. In 1968 the plank floor remained' (S1). Further details in (R1).
One of the county's 16 best industrial monuments (S3)(S4).
Recorded in gazetteer of significant Industrial Archaeological sites extracted from a 1980 booklet entitled 'Industrial Archaeology in and around Norfolk' and revised as 'Suffolk IA Sites in 1980' in Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter (SIAS Newsletter, 115, Nov 2011) where it is described as:
Flash-lock, including lock island, some timber-work and adjacent cottage. Inititals TGC stand for Sit Thomas Gery Cullum, who rebuilt the navigation in the 1830s and 40s.
- <R1> SSF10549 (No record type): Lewis, M.J.T.. Lewis M J T et al, Industrial Archaeol 6.3, 1969.
- <S1> SSF120 (No record type): Alderton D and Booker J, Guide to the Industrial Archaeol of E Anglia, 1980.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: sketch plan.
- <S2> SSF23066 (No record type): Weston D E, The Lark Navigation, circa 1980, 14-15.
- <S3> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. No 35, 1991.
- <S4> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Cossam K, The BP Book of Industrial Archaeology, 1975.
- <S5> SSF56055 Web Page: Addy, D. 2008. St Edmundsbury Chronicle: www.stedmundsburychronicle.com.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2016 11:56AM