Monument record EUN 020 - Euston Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9094 7804 (4288m by 3155m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EUSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Park associated with Euston Hall (EUN 019). Also listed as deer park (David Dymond suggests that Bayton Grove, to E of house, was site of deer park noted by Evelyn) - see Misc. Landscaped circa 200 ha partly farmland; gardens and pleasure grounds circa 30 ha. 1671 by J Evelyn for Lord Arlington; 1730s-c.1748 by Kent for 2nd Duke of Grafton, modified 1767- 83 by Capability Brown for 3rd Duke. Wooded pleasure grounds, contained by ha-ha, screen church and extend beyond it. Vista between trees from house to basin with island. Serpentine lake c. 2km long, probably by Kent altered by Brown; bridge below weir carried drive from west. Site of canal (possibly originally a mill leat for the water mill) removed by 1731 but traceable in turf near house. Park laid out with E-W avenues by Evelyn, curtailed or removed by Kent and replaced by trees in belts on skyline.
To E, beech avenue c. 2km long. Temple or banqueting hall dated 1746 by Kent (see EUN 016). To W pedimented gateway, flanking lodges early C19. Lime avenue, Duke's Ride c.1.7km.
Walled garden c.1 ha, C18, with ornamented gateway; house, EUN 019, from early C17; castellated water-mill late C18-early C19 (known to exist in Tudor period?); drawings by Pridaux c.1716; drawings for park and temple by Kent, 1746 (S1)(S2). Euston Park - gardens and pleasure grounds, c.30 ha, landscaped park, c.200 ha, partly farmland (S3).
Also see ice-house, EUN 015.
Delineated after (S3).
- <R1> SSF4172 (No record type): Country Life, 10 Jan 1957, 58; Jan 1957, 102; 24 Jan 1957, 148.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF7375 (No record type): HBMCE, Register of Parks and Gardens, Suffolk, map.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk 1981, 202-204.
- <R2> SSF6750 (No record type): Garden History VI: 2, 1978, 22-5.
- <S3> SSF5727 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks & Gardens of Special Historic Interest, Part 39, Suffolk.
- <R3> SSF7687 (No record type): Hussey C, English Landscapes and Gardens 1700-1750, 1957.
- <R4> SSF7296 (No record type): Harris J, Artist and the Country House, 1979.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2010 12:57PM