Monument record FRK 032 - Roman artefact scatter, North Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 667 727 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rom finds reported at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), no further details (S1). ?Part of same site as FRK 003 (C4 coin hoard in colour coated jar).
Confirmed to be Rom scatter on hill. Also said, by unnamed third party, to have been findspot of Rom stone coffins, which were deliberately broken up `years ago' by landowner. Some of the broken coffin fragments were said to have been dumped in the large ditch to the W (S2).
December 1997: Metal detector finds of 28 bronze coins, C2, C3 & C4 + bronze brooch, Colchester derivative, double lug type. Drawing in file. Details in (S3).
January 1998: Further detected finds of 7 Rom coins, bronze C3 & C4, details in (S3).
February 1998: C1 bronze brooch, Hod Hill type, also 11 bronze coins, one 69079, remainder C4 (S3).
September 1998: at 'H': bronze brooch, Rosette type, drawing in file. At 'HL' bronze brooch, Colchester type and bronze bracelet fragment highly decorated with faceted, notched edges, punched small dots and circles and grooves, C4. Drawing in file. Also 26 bronze coins C4, details in (S3).
Further metal detector finds, 2000, details in (S4)
Also IA, Sax, Med & PMed.
2007: Roman coins, bronze Nauheim derivative type brooch, finger ring (S5), and a vessel mount with suspension loop (S6). Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2007 (S7).
- <S1> SSF19715 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, note, January 1994.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50053 Unpublished document: Mildenhall & District Detector Club. MADDC, King J, per SAU (Pendleton C), July 1997.
- <S3> SSF50053 Unpublished document: Mildenhall & District Detector Club. MADDC, Brown J/Foster S, per SAU (CP & JP), December 1997 & January 1998.
- <S4> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Foster, S per Geake, H SCCAS sf 117/931-6, SF22/942.
- <S5> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. SF-2D5C27.
- <S6> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. SF--68F3F1.
- <S7> SSF55370 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 2008. Archaeology in Suffolk 2007. XXXXI (4).
- FSF22235: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22236: COFFIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22237: COIN (Roman - 161 AD? to 378 AD)
- FSF22238: BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF25496: COIN (Roman - 201 AD to 300 AD)
- FSF25497: COLCHESTER BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF25498: HOD HILL BROOCH (Late Iron Age to Roman - 1 AD to 100 AD)
- FSF25499: COIN (Roman - 69 AD to 79 AD)
- FSF25500: BRACELET (Roman - 301 AD to 400 AD)
- FSF42316: NAUHEIM DERIVATIVE BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF42317: FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF42318: MOUNT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2016 10:30AM