Monument record STN 022 - Road 64 (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 824 865 (207m by 200m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Area of "prolific flint site, W G Clarke 1895-190(?8)", defined on 6 inch record map by Rainbird Clarke (S1)(R1)(R2). Possibly PMed gunflint production waste?
February 1994: rapid sample excavation of five features identified during watching brief during construction of 12m wide forest roadway. Finds included undatable worked flints plus one sherd prehistoric `flint gritted' pottery. One feature (0005) was mainly grave shaped with the stain of a (wooden?) lining with possible nails (S2). A few fragments from the fill were magnetic. Other finds included burnt flints and, mainly, undiagnostic worked flints which may include PMed material.
- <S1> SSF12932 (No record type): OS, 6 inch record map, TL 88 NW.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL88NW17.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S2> SSF20131 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, field report, sketches etc..
- <R2> SSF4165 (No record type): Correspondents 6 inch record map, RR Clarke entry, undated.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2010 5:03PM