Monument record WTH 012 - Bronze hoard discovered while metal detecting and subsequently excavated December 1993.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6615 4683 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHERSFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
December 1993: bronze hoard discovered while metal detecting by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and subsequently excavated by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) and Brian Charge. Although no definite edge to a pit or hole were identified, the hoard was packed into a cylindrical mass 25cm in diameter and 31cm deep, at a depth of 30cm below the present ground surface (S1).
The hoard consists of six socketed axes (plain except for collar mouldings but one has a central vertical rib on both faces), 1 socketed gouge, 5 socketed axe fragments and 65 fragments of bronze/copper cake or ingots. Total weight of hoard is 22.94kg (S2).
Note flint gritted pottery previously found at this approximate location - see WTH 011.
Details of finds and excavation, plus illustrations, in (S3).
September 1998: Evaluation trenching across field (see WTH 011) around area of hoard findspot located various features including gulleys/ditches, pits & post holes, including a concentration of 6-8 pits around the hoard findspot. Finds from these including LBA/EIA pottery & flints. Also a further piece of ingot (unstratified). Details in (S4).
2000: open area excavation revealed part of enclosure surrounding (or probably just to N of) hoard findspot - see WTH 011.
- <S1> SSF3460 (No record type): Charge B B, `Report on late Bronze Age Hoard from Withersfield', 1993 (illustrated typescript).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S1) and (S2) with drawings.
- <S2> SSF10928 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, finds report 1994.
- <M2> SSF45002 (No record type): Photographs:.
- <M3> SSF45003 (No record type): Library: (S3).
- <S3> SSF7384 (No record type): Charge BB,' A LBA founders hoard from Withersfield...' HDAG Journal, 6 (2), 1996, 115-122, ill.
- <S4> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. SAU, Summers M, evaluation report, 98/70, October 1998, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2010 10:40AM