Monument record WGD 013 - Evans Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 224 779 (119m by 188m)|
|Civil Parish||WINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Earthworks in meadow adjacent to pond or fragmentary moat (two sides with short spur and internal buldings, known as Evans's Barn, as marked on 1: 10560 map). Possibly small field or toft plot boundaries to E and rectilinear field system to S in a cultivated field (S1).
Further earthworks to NE - WGD 014.
Evans Barn shown on 1:10560 map as building with wings to S on E and W side, that on the E side adjoining the moat(?) arm (S2). Rectangular plot/ moat shown and named as Evans Barn on OS 1st ed map of 1837.
1995 AP shows the `moat' as a tree-covered square in an arable field. Buildings probably gone (S3).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BHM 69, November 1971.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BHM 69.
- <S2> SSF12654 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TM 27 NW, circa 1958.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: letter from A F Gray, 1996.
- <S3> SSF308 (No record type): AP, lent by A F Gray, 1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 1996 12:00AM