Monument record SUT 087 - Pettistree Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3028 4448 (204m by 185m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectangular moat surrounding `Pistrehall' shown on William Haiward's map of Sutton, 1629 (S1). Manor of Petristres mentioned 1456; called Woodhall Pistrees in 1494 (S2). Probable takes its name from the family of William de Petrestre (from the parish of Pettistree, near Wickham Market) who was taxed 2s in Sutton in 1327 (S3). History of the manor given in (S4) where the hall is described as a `Fine old mansion in the Elizabethan style now occupied as a farm house'. Owned in 1629 by Mr Burwell (S1). The Burwell family are said to have moved here from Fen Hall in Sutton (see SUT 076), c. 1600 (S2).
- <S1> SSF21543 (No record type): SRO (Ipswich) JA`/54/2, `Description & platte of the town of Sutton...', William Haiward, 1629.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S1).
- <S2> SSF877 (No record type): Arnott W G, The Place-Names of the Deben Valley Parishes, 1946, 72 & 74.
- <S3> SSF7455 (No record type): Hervey S H A (ed), Suffolk in 1327, Suffolk Green Books no IX vol II, 1906.
- <S4> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol VII, 1911, 271.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2013 10:12AM