Monument record SUT 076 - Manor of Fenhall, site of

Please read our .

Summary

William Haiward's map of Sutton, 1629, shows 3 buildings named as `site of ye maner of Fenhall' and held by Mr Breder (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 3093 4624 (101m by 100m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM34NW
Civil Parish SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

William Haiward's map of Sutton, 1629, shows 3 buildings named as `site of ye maner of Fenhall' and held by Mr Breder (S1). History of the manor of Fennhall recorded from the 14th century (S2). Manor house said to have been demolished when Francis Burwell, the lord of the manor, moved to Pettistree Hall in Sutton after the death of his father in 1596 (S3).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> (No record type): SRO (Ipswich) JA1/54/2 `Description and platte of the town of Sutton...' by William Haiward, 1629.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, Manors of Suffolk, vol VII, 1911, 271.
  • <S3> (No record type): Arnott W G, Place-Names of the Deben Valley Parishes, 1946, 72.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 2 1994 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.