Monument record SUT 095 - Vale Farm Formerly Aldams
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3194 4529 (89m by 106m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Group of six buildings on the north side of a long linear pond (?for fish) with a further building at the west end of the pond, named as `Bourn ? Aldams' on William Haiward's 1629 map of Sutton (S1). Much of the surrounding land was held by a Robert Bourne and an `Aldams Pit' is marked immediately to the east, so presumably this was the tenement Aldams held by Robert Bourn.
A house is shown on the modern 1:10,000 map where an L-shaped building is marked in 1629 and modern farm buildings seem to overlie some of the buildings shown in 1629, but two buildings shown to the west of the L-shaped one and the building at the end of the pond have disappeared. This now called Vale Farm. The outline of the pond may still survive.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 19 2011 10:45AM