Monument record SUT 097 - Sutton Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3139 4804 (38m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Long mound separated by a dip from a circular mound (see SUT 096) at north end. Relationship between the mounds in much closer on the ground than it appears on the OS 1:10,000 map. Mound is about 4ft high and is covered with heather and lies in an area of heather heath (S1). Probably a rabbit warren mound and probably PMed. Note other 'paired' (pillow?) mounds at BRD 082 and MNL 516/7.
June 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Both the mounds described above are visible on aerial photographs (S2-S5), and are thought to be too fresh to be post medieval warren mounds, although since they appear to be ‘fresh’ mounds of spoil in 1945 (S1), it is possible that they are spoil mounds from the anti-glider ditches, or that at least one of the mounds (SHER 097) may be an air raid shelter, or possible shelter from practice fire. An area of dug out ground to the north (S1) at TM3158 4826, may represent a possible firing range. It is also possible that this mound may represent a medieval to post medieval pillow mound or warren bank.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 17th June 2015.
- <S1> SSF10961 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, visit 10 August 1994.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/759 FS 2046-2047 02-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RS 4060-4061 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 12 1986041-1686042 01-MAY-1986 (Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM XX-XXX-2000 ACCESSED 28-MAY-2015 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 12:52PM