Monument record FXL 031 - Cropmarks of multiperiod occupation, Foxhall Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2274 4372 (737m by 656m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Cropmark of E-W trackway (S1). Leads to(?) Foxhall Hall or enclosure complex, FXL 013.
An extensive ditched field system and interconnecting tracks of probable prehistoric date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, to the west of Foxhall Hall, centred on circa TM228436, Foxhall parish. The field system does not have a single axis or orientation, but appears to be aligned on three main curvilinear ditch defined roads or tracks. The tracks do appear to encircle the location of Foxhall Hall, but they not directly approach it, and may simply be avoiding the valley to the east of the Hall. There is no evidence to support the suggestion but these features may be associated with the enclosure FXL 013 circa 650 metres to the east. A single cropmark, at circa TM 227435, may be post-medieval in date. (S2-S7)
Also possible barrow at TM23054399, several additional trackways, probable pitting and a curvilinear boundary (probably forming the eastern side of a large enclosure) on Google Earth 7/2021
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth / Bing Maps.
- <S1> SSF13100 (No record type): OS, AP, 92 364 110, June 1992.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 5194-5 28-JUL-1948.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2243/7 (4578/16) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2243/6/159-61 (SF1662) 19-JUL-1979.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2243/8 (4698/32A) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2243/9 (4698/33A) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2243/10 (4698/34A) 28-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 22 2022 2:38PM