Monument record STS 010 - Remains of villa building uncovered by amateur enthusiast and archaeology student in Summer 1994 - see parish file - within site STS 002.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8521 4957 (49m by 52m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STANSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Remains of villa building uncovered by amateur enthusiast + archaeology student in Summer 1994 - see parish file - within site STS 002. Building consists of two right angle flint and mortar walls, remains of rough tile floor under a succession of other floor surfaces, all destroyed by excavation. Some earlier features cutting subsoil. Copy of notes and photographs in parish file (S1)(S2).
Recommended for scheduling in 1979 (S3).
Rapid plans and sections drawn by SAU before backfilled in September 1994 by farmer (S4).
For earlier discoveries see STS 002 file.
2006: for large scale geophysical survey revealing extensive complex of buildings etc see STS 002.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1-S3 correspondence).
- <S1> SSF7427 (No record type): Henderson Mr, Ms notes.
- <S2> SSF20266 (No record type): SAU, Photographs.
- <M2> SSF42461 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF18236 (No record type): SAU Recommendation for Scheduling, December 1979.
- <S4> SSF19153 (No record type): SAU, Caruth J & Gill D, excavation archive.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (3), 1995, p.359.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2013 3:57PM