Monument record WFG 023 - Roman Way
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9135 4355 (285m by 24m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT WALDINGFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Hollow way linking Upsher Green to NE with Rectory Road to SW. See (S1) for aerial view.
1969: Surveyed and cross section drawn as part of A level course on Roman Britain by Dr Nigel Herd and students from Sudbury High School. Followed up by exploration trench, circa 2-3ft deep, revealing slightly convex stone surface extending under side banks (forming road surface?). No further details (S3)(S4).
February 1996: Proposal to divert public byway to adjoining trackway in field to N (S2).
- <M1> SSF44563 (No record type): AP: (S1).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, BXY 82, 1975.
- <S2> SSF21057 (No record type): SCC (Rights of Way Sub-Committee), Paper on `Possible diversion of proposed byway open to all traffi.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2), copy (S4).
- <S3> SSF21283 (No record type): Skinner Mr (Gt Waldingfield Parish Council), March 1996.
- <S4> SSF7412 (No record type): Heard Dr N, letter to Mr D J Floyd, February 1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2010 4:52PM